Get Creative - Part 1

Don't write a song, craft it. The art of your storytelling lies in your ability to paint a picture in your listeners mind using imagery.

Here's a great example from the first line of the Shawn Mullins song, 'Gulf of Mexico.'

"She cooks him ham and ho-cakes, 5:30 every morn."

He could have said, "She makes him breakfast early every morning."

By referencing the actual food, Shawn creates an image that draws the listener closer.

Try this... Describe a man watching a beautiful woman walk into a room. Then, get creative with it. Do it again. Make it better.

That's songcrafting.

I'll share with you what I came up with in this exercise in my next edition of SongCrafting.

Comments

  1. You catch my eyes From across the room, I can help but notice you noticing me too, I’m breathless, nervous & so confused, but I cannot show this to you, So we play our games & act like there’s nothing happening here,
    But you too know as well as I do, I’ll be leaving with you__ tonight & we will have the time of our lives, So poor some whisk & wine & have A few drinks more_ we both know where the night is going , We’ve been....
    & fuck the past it is no longer, all that matters is where we are going, & as my eyes catch yours there’s no need for words, because you’re eyes say everything, that you’re lips are holding back from me, & I can’t read through your million dollar smile, but it tells me all I need to know, you are an angel, You are..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Present, Past, and Future Tenses | Different Ways of Telling The Story

Rhymes: 4-Ways To Improve Your SongCrafting

Get Creative - Part Deux